We can see the increase in the number of cyber-attacks with the enormous use of technology and the internet on many platforms. Whether it can be large enterprises or small online businesses, cyber attackers and hackers tend to keep an eye through the security loopholes to find a way to perform various attacks such as phishing attacks, data breaches, DDoS attacks, etc.
Here, we are going to mention some of the most destructive cyber-attacks happened in the year 2021 till May 2021 to various well known and agile business and organization and witnessing outcomes of the attack that tends to be excessively dangerous for the company. The company or the organization falls into a profound loss in both the provider and consumer ends. After exploring more we also get to know about how the enterprise becomes a victim of cyber breaches and attacks.
When, What & Who did it?
FireEye is one of the most known cybersecurity firms established in Milpitas in California. This company is very well known for providing excellent cybersecurity with the most innovative techniques
- The FireEye company was affected by ransomware attacks on April 29, 2021.
- A group of hackers exploited the SonicWALL zero-day software flaw, said by FireEye researchers. The attackers performed their world-class hacking capabilities especially to target FireEye.
- The hackers stole some of the company’s internal Red Team tools.
- The Silicon Valley company said Hacked by Nation-State hackers – almost certainly Russian.
2. Harris Federation
Harris Federation is an educational charity run by teachers. There are almost 50 primary and secondary academies of Harris while the first school was opened in 1990. Harris Federation is in London, Essex.
- This organization faced a cyber attack in march 2021.
- The attack was done by an anonymous group of hackers who target their organization for implementing ransomware attacks.
- Harris federation has to temporarily disable all the devices on their server, also with devices and mail systems for all their academies which cause a great loss to the students as they are unable to access the coursework and information.
3. CNA Financial
One of the most agile financial corporations is CNA headquartered in Chicago, United States. CNA comes under the biggest cyber insurance firms in the USA. CNA offers business insurance solutions that help to manage risks and determined more fragile growth for the enterprise.
- This insurance company experiences a sudden cybersecurity attack on the whole system on March 20, 2021.
- This attack was done by a well-known team of cyber-attackers that target this insurance firm for the type of ransomware attack in which they used a type of updated version of malware known as a Phoenix, Crypto Locker.
- This cyber-attack gives a lot of impact on the organization because the whole server was disrupted and they have to shut down all the organizational services for both users and employees. Network systems were also shut down to not compromise further. It is determined that this attack also affects policyholders’ data.
4. Channel Nine
The Channel Nine company in Australia, which is also known as the Nine Networks. It is a commercial free-to-air network.
The main headquarters is situated in Sydney. This Nine Network enterprise broadcasts a range of programs from entertainment to current affairs and news from Australian sources.
- On March 28, 2021, the channel Nine company was struck by a cyberattack which comes across very destructive outcomes for the organization.
- It was not clearly explained that an attack was performed by whom because at first, they were claiming that some technical or network difficulties happened but later it was profound as a cyber-attack which caused difficulty for security experts to find out who performed the attack.
- The channel was unable to evince the Sunday news bulletin and various other shows. Publishing tools were also down because of the unavailability of accessing the network at the main headquarters. This inconvenience also cut off operations at the network publishing business.
5. Bombardier Airplane Manufacturer
Airplane manufacturer bombardier is Canadian world-leading manufacturers for business jets. Their products and services set a world-class experience that renders new standards in passenger comfort, safety, management, etc. for creating innovating planes·
- This popular plane manufacturing company endures data breaching in the month of February in 2021.
- It was discovered that the attack was performed by a group of cyber-attackers known as the clop-ransomware gang.
- This data breach results in the leak of confidential data including design documents for various Bombardier airplanes and plane parts. No personal data was shared, but the airplane maker is most likely livid that some of its private intellectual property is now being offered as a free download on the dark web.
For notebook PC and tablet sales Acer Inc marks the highest overall shares in the market. Acer is an eminent multinational company that supplies advanced technology electronics. Acer is also integrated with cloud services and platforms and devices with better IoT applications. The main headquarters are at Xizhi, the new Taipei city.
- This globally renowned company suffered a ransomware attack and data breach both at the same time in the year 2021.
- It was discovered that the attack was conducted by a cybercriminal team known as the name of REviL.
- This attack is said to be the largest known ransom to date as recorded because the attackers asked them a large amount of money($50 million). They also breached the stolen data on their site.
7. Sierra Wireless
Sierra Wireless is a wireless communication equipment designer located in Canada. They also maintain offices and firms in various countries such as Japan, China, Germany, etc. Sierra wireless products are used widely in the market.
- The multinational IoT devices manufacturer was impacted by a sudden cyber-attack on 21st March 2021.
- The attack was a ransomware attack and done by an unidentified group of hackers against their internal systems.
- The customer production was affected because they have stopped manufacturing products for some period of time.
Mobikwik is an Indian company that provides payment systems on mobile phones and wallets. Customers can add money to the wallet and use it for further payments at various applications. Mobikwik provides an easier way for online recharge, bill payment modes, etc.
- On March 4, 2021, Mobikwik suspected to be affected by a data breach attack.
- The attack was performed by some group of hackers in which they attempted to allegedly hack the data of over 3.5 million MobiKwik users.
- It was reported in the attack that the KYC data of 3.5 million people is breached from the company’s server and up for sale on the dark web. Some users confirmed that the data is suspected to be available online.
Accellion is an American corporation located in Palo alto, California. Accellion specializes in file sharing and collaboration regarding business. Over three thousand organizations use their products. It is also a well-known security service provider.
- This company becomes a victim of a cyber breach in February 2021.
- Some high-profile group of hackers targeted their file transferring systems (FTA) for data breaches.
- The crucial and authorized data of various organizations were leaked and stolen when the vulnerabilities were exploited in the Accellion FTA tool.
10. American Armed Forces Mutual Aid Association
This Association is a non-profit, tax-exempt, member-owned association that provides financial services, including life insurance, investing and trust services, and survivor services to the U.S. Armed Forces communities.
- On January 29, 2021, they were experiencing some malicious and suspicious activities on the system which was claimed as a hacking incident.
- The hacker behind this attack is still unknown.
- After investigating, they came across some unauthorized access of data from some systems, and some files were also stolen and removed.
Some other organizations which suffered cyber-attacks due to improper security techniques and system loopholes:
- Social Networking platform Gab hacked due to rookie coding error.
- Microsoft Exchange hacked by the Chinese hacking group Hafnium in which the data of millions of Microsoft clients get affected.
- India’s second-largest stock exchange Upstox hacked. Hackers stole KYC & other data of about 2.5 million customers.
- Squirrel hill health center was targeted by cybercriminals for malware attacks.
- Online grocery businesses BigBasket suffered from the data breach of around 20 million customers. The user database has been leaked on the dark web by a hacker group infamously known as ShinyHunters.
Currently, we can see how easily an organization or even a small business gets prone to various harmful cyber attacks. The organization size type doesn’t even matter when the cybercriminals want to target your firm for exploiting. Systematic security should be maintained in order to protect your organization from these cyber attacks. You can also be the next victim for attackers to target so, always be assured about the security of your enterprise.